Total Money Makeovers

,

Have you done this? Are you interested in doing this? Do you have any idea what I'm talking about!?!?

I'm sick of living paycheck to paycheck and our debt has grown completely out of control, to the tune of nearly $300, 000 including our mortgage. Dave Ramsey has a really great book (easy to read, not all mathy and technical) that details the steps to use to get out of debt for good. It'll change your life.

I know I should be feeling loads of guilt and anxiety about sharing that insane number with the interwebz, but I'm really not. I really believe that I'm not alone in what we had done to ourselves. We were living beyond our means and ended up living paycheck to paycheck. I'm tired of all that so I've decided to dust of my CFO hat, which I had abandoned in the past few years. But in my absence, no one was driving the ship! No captain was at the helm and we got in deep doo-doo. Now I'm back to right the wrongs and whip us back into shape.

I'm on baby step #1 now, and I'm working to raise my $1000 emergency fund. I'm planning another garage sale in the next few weeks to try to clean things out and earn some money. Then, I'll get down and dirty and start kicking debt's butt. We have a 30 year loan on our house and when I'm done with it, we'll have paid it off in 1/2 that time, I guarantee you that! I'm super excited and I can't wait to get this going. I can't wait to be debt free! I'm tired of being a slave to the lender and I want to tell my money what to do for a change.

So tell me, What's your biggest debt right now? Credit cards? Mortgage?

1 comments:

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Our biggest debt is our condo, and while it's only about $50,000 remaining, we still feel like we're drowning. Our only other debt is my car, which may sound wonderful to many, and I wish that I could say that means we're super-responsible with our money, but we're just not. We eat out WAY to much, and spend frivolously. We definitely need to get a handle on it. Maybe I'll pick up a copy of this book, and see if it can whip us into shape!