People tell me that my kids are funny.

,

If that were true, why don't I laugh more?

Instead, I'm just frustrated with their crazy antics.  But that could be my hormones talking.

Today, instead of going quietly into that sweet nap time, Riley fussed at me.  He wanted a chair.  I peeked in his room, he had a chair.  I said, 'You have a chair.'

He said, 'Yes, but I need another chair for my babies.'  Ugh.  Sigh.  Ugh.  Darn it.  Not those guys again.  I think that Riley's babies must be the most demanding inanimate objects in my entire house.  They ALWAYS need something.  It is annoying.

What?  You don't know what the Babies are?  Lucky you!  Let me learn you on the Babies.  The babies came about when Riley was brand new, he nursed all messy-like and I had to use diaper flats or prefolds between me and him to catch all the spills or we'd both get soaked.  Over time, the little towels got all ratty and stained but Riley loved them.  Inevitably, they'd get in his bed for naps or what not after being stuck in his neck for a feeding.  He got used to them being near him and that was that.  The Babies were born.  At some point, I sent the little nasty things out to get tie-dyed for extra beauty.  Riley loved that too! 

So now, we have about 3 Babies that are, at any point in time, sneaking around my house.  Today they caused trouble at lunch when they needed their own chair to watch Riley eat his macaroni and cheese.

ANYWAY, I got off track.  The babies needed a chair for quiet time, remember?  I said, 'No, your babies do not need a chair.  This is silly.  Don't be silly.' Insert amazing amounts of whining from a little pitiful, whining face that only a mother (possibly only this mother) could find annoying.  'Please mommy, they need a chair, but I waaaaaaannnnnnnt a chair for them.'
'No.'
Then, I had second thoughts.  Perhaps I was crushing his spirit or something and I should make some kind of accommodations for these fussy Babies. So, I said, 'Hey, there's a little stool in the bathroom, why don't you use that for your babies.  They aren't very big, I bet they'd like that one because it is closer to the floor.  Their legs aren't very long, you know.'
The boy looks at me and says, 'That's why they want a big chair.  They want to be up high.'

SIGH.  I can't win here.  I tried to be nice to those stupid Babies but they still try to sucker punch me.

So I told him to chuck his Babies up on top of his loft bed if they wanted to be high.  I was through messing with it.  I turned around, closed his bedroom door and began to retreat to the other room.  As I was walking away, he threw one of his tennis shoes at the door.  I suppose that was meant for me, but I just let it go.  I bet the Babies made him do it.

2 comments:

chefamily said...

what a cute story!

Sheree said...

LOL i love this!! totally get that. :) we must have similar babies living in our house.